Pages

Monday, January 05, 2009

Already knows her ABC's

A very very wise woman once said: "Let's start at the very beginning. A very good place to start." And where do you start with food? Why also at the very beginning. Appetizers, or small bites.

According to Fannie Farmer the goal of the appetizer is to stimulate the appetite without satisfying the appetite. It should appeal to the eye and the palate. Basically, what she's saying is, it should leave you wanting more.

I'm skipping over the part about dips and spreads and jumping right in to the hot appetizers.

And this first hot appetizer has led me to add a #4 to my caveat. I keep thinking I like liver because I like chopped liver. But really? I've decided I don't like liver in any form but chopped. And Thatdog agrees. When I tried to pawn these off on him he turned up his nose and asked what happened to the leftover bacon. Soooo this is the first and last liver recipe you will see from the book. Which should make a majority of you happy since as I seem to recall, there were very few liver lovers who are reading. And for those of you liver lovers, I apologize, but if you REALLY want you could always by your own copy of the book, start your own blog, and cook exclusively liver and "other organ" dishes. Oh! And you can make this recipe over and over and over again.



Skewered Chicken Livers, Bacon and Water Chestnuts
- Fannie reminds you to soak your skewers in water before beginning so they don't catch on fire, but as you can see, that didn't help my poor skewers.
  • 1 lb chicken livers
  • 1 can water chestnuts, drained
  • 10-15 slices of bacon
  1. Preheat the broiler. Cut each liver into three or four pieces.
  2. Cut the water chestnuts in half.
  3. Cut each bacon slice into three or four pieces and wrap a piece around the water chestnut half.
  4. On each skewer thread a piece of liver and a piece of bacon wrapped water chestnut. Repeat so that each skewer has at least 2 pieces of liver. Place the threaded skewer on a broiler rack and cook 3 minutes each side or until bacon is lightly browned.

11 comments:

  1. Umm, yeah. Organ meats are GROSS! Think about what passes through them. Just YUCK! And this from a southerner who is supposed to love fried chicken livers, but I won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, but I DO have a bacon recipe that I will share. It is OMG delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered how skewers survive broiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skewers make food instantly cuter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once bought a whole container of chicken livers for a dirty rice recipe. They were fine chopped up, sauteed, and mixed in with everything else, but when I tried some just fried up plain- blech.

    You will get no complaints from me for the lack of future liver recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. at least they're cute, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on that one! My mom-in-law, would totally go for that apy though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, no liver for me...in any way, shape or form! I am another southerner who isn't going near fried chicken livers. My grandmother loves them though...she'll go to KFC just to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. blech. i can't do liver in any form.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so brave. I would've just skewered the bacon and called it a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a meal of appetizers sounds....wait for it...appetizing! ;P

    ReplyDelete