Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sunday Runday: Orlando United 5k


The past few weeks have been one tragedy after another.  It's sad and it's scary.  And part of the sadness and scariness is the feeling of victimization and helplessness.  What can we do to help?  What can we do to prevent these tragedies from happening.


It's hard feeling so helpless.  Because no matter what we do, it doesn't change what has already happened.  The best we can do is to remember.  There's an age old adage "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  Memories become so vital.  We must remember for those who are unable.  We must live for those whose lives were cut short.  We must come together in the hopes that such togetherness serves as deterrent to destruction. 

The tragedy at Pulse in Orlando didn't effect me personally in that I didn't know any of the victims, but it did effect me personally in that I have many friends in the LGBT community.  And what happened in Orlando could have just as easily happened in my own community.  It's senseless and terrible, and it leaves me with a hollow feeling, a dull ache for the lives that were lost.



As I said before, the best thing we can do is remember, and not forget.  So in remembrance, and as a way to stand with our brothers and sisters in Orlando, a virtual run was created.  The Orlando United 5k took place yesterday.  People from across the country dressed in their rainbow colored best, got together, and ran in remembrance of the men and women of Orlando.  Because we are all Orlando.

Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee. 
- John Donne








2 comments:

  1. That Donne quote is just perfect. Thank you for running - as a member of the LGBT community, I am blown away by the kindness of people all over the world following that terrible act of hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, not bad for an old white guy, right? Donne is one of my favorite poets.

    And I wish it didn't take terrible events to bring out the best in people.

    ReplyDelete