Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Crave Wednesday: Reuben Sandwiches






Big surprise, we're backlogged here.  BUT YOU GUYS I SEE THE LIGHT!  Last weekend was one of the most mellow we have had since February.  FEB.RU.ARY.  We cleaned the house, played with the kids, and even slept a little!

So let's rewind to the weekend before.  It was, like most of our weekends, packed.  Which meant we spread Father's Day out over both weekend days.  We started on Saturday morning with a trip to Thatboy's favorite breakfast location - The Original Pancake House.

Thatkid made a point of trying everyone's pancakes.  Thatbaby was much more interested in eggs.  Oppobaby strikes again.

I spent the rest of Saturday and part of Sunday with my girlfriends, celebrating me, so the rest of Father's Day celebrating resumed Sunday afternoon.

We had such a great time at Wave Waterpark last year, we decided to do it again this year.  Except last year, Thatbaby was only a week old, so he and I spent the entire time in a cabana in the shade.  This year, he and I spent most of the time floating around the lazy river in an inner tube. 

He also got his first taste of snow cone - watermelon snow cone!


After the waterpark, we tried out a new brew pub - Prohibition Brewery.  Neither Thatboy nor I were terrible impressed with the beer, but we both loved the food. 


Thatboy had some amazing macaroni and cheese, Thatboy had prime rib, and me?  I had a cuban sandwich.  I love a good sandwich at a restaurant.  And Prohibition had a number of really good looking sandwiches.  I had a really hard time deciding between the Cuban and a Reuben.  I ended up going with the Cuban because I can make a mean Reuben sandwich at home.  This Reuben sandwich.

The Reuben is a quintessential Jewish deli sandwich.  Corned beef and cheese, topped with sauerkraut and Russian dressing.  But the most important part of the sandwich is the rye bread.  Accept no substitutes!


Reuben Sandwiches (From Cooking Light)
1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
1 Tbsp chili sauce
2 tsps finely minced dill pickle
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp grated onion
8 slices rye bread
3 oz swiss cheese, chaved
4 oz lower sodium corned beef, thinly sliced
1 cup organic sauerkraut, drained well
  1. Preheat broiler.  Combine mayonnaise, chili sauce, pickle, Worcestershire sauce, and onion in a small bowl, stirring well.
  2. Place bread slices in a single layer on a heavy baking sheet.  Broil bread 1 1/2 minutes or until toasted.  Turn bread over; broil 1 minute or until lightly toasted.  Remove 4 slices.
  3. Divide cheese evenly among remaining 4 slices, sprinkling it lightly over toasted sides.  Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts.
  4. Spread about 1 1/2 Tbsp dressing over cheese-coated side of each bread slice.
  5. Top each serving with 1 ounce corned beef, 1/4 cup sauerkraut, and remaining bread slices.

10 comments:

  1. You are all making a beautiful team of family members! I am going to try this! Sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to find a good Cuban or Reuban in SoCal... I'll take yours any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. Although it's worse in San Diego. There are some good Reubens in LA and Orange County has some good Cubans.

      Delete
  3. What is this sleep thing you speak of?!? Ha. Reuben sandwiches are my favorite, but somehow I never ever make them at home, even though I can. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooo. I don't want to hear from anyone with older kids that they don't sleep. I need hope that one day we'll get to do it again!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! There is nothing better than a good Rueben sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like QUITE the sandwich!! Regarding kids who sleep - I'm right there in the trenches with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. One day, Kylee. One day we will sleep again.

      Delete