Little Jack Horner, sat in the corner
Eating his Christmas Pie.
He stuck in his thumb, and pulled out a plum,
and said "my, what a good boy am I."
10 slices of white bread
1 cup hot milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups raisins, lightly floured
1/2 up finely chopped figs
3 Tbsp finely chopped citron
3/4 cup shortening
3 Tbsp brandy
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp mace
1 tsp salt
- Butter a 2 qt mold with a lid. Heat water in a pot large enough to hold the mold.
- Crumble the bread and soak it in the hot milk.
- Cool and add the sugar, the egg yolks, the raisins, figs, and citron.
- Add the shortening.
- Stir in the brandy, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, mace, and salt. Beat until well blended.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Stir a third of the whites into the pudding mixture, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the mold and cover. Put in the large pot and steam for 6 hours. Remove from pot and let cool for 10 minutes before unmolding.