Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Solo Swimming: Apple Salad



We get worse every year.  Last year we enrolled Thatbaby in swim lessons moments before the last session of the season, rushing out the door in order to make it.  This year we completely missed all the summer sessions.  We didn't want a whole other year to go by without him getting dedicated pool time.  Since Thatboy and I don't really have off for the summers anyway, we decided we might as well enroll him in a fall session of swimming. 



Saturday was the first class.  We went to a later class than the one we enrolled in so we could attend the Grape Day festivities.  The class we went to ended up having no other students enrolled, giving Thatbaby a private lesson.  We were a little nervous about how the lesson was going to go.  Up until now all Thatbaby's lessons had been "parent and me" lessons, with us in the water with him.  This was just him and the instructor.  And although we had talked to him about it, up until Saturday he kept insisting that we be in the pool too.  When Saturday arrived however, he was more than happy to jump into the water and swim with a total stranger.  Letting her hold him, swimming to her, swimming from her, like they were old friends.  I think we're going to keep him in the later class since he does so well in it and he gets some good 1 on 1 attention.



It's funny to me that we're doing swim lessons in September, because that's such a fall month for me.  I associate swimming with summer, and September with things like apple picking.  And we do have that on the horizon!  But apples are the herald of autumn for me.  The same way citrus is my winter fruit.  I've already started using apples in my cooking.  Especially salads.  I've been chopping them up into our green salads, but they make a fantastic salad all on their own.  With the yogurt and dried fruit, it's almost more of a dessert than a side dish!


Apple Salad
4 green apples, cored and chopped
1/4 cup blanched, slivered almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried cherries
1 cup vanilla yogurt

  1. Combine all ingredients, stirring to coat in yogurt.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose if it's an indoor pool, you can really have swim lessons any time of year! Love that he was so good in the water. It's definitely a good skill to have.

    ReplyDelete