Last week Thatbaby started complaining that his throat was owie. Wednesday night he started acting lethargic, lying on my lap during dinner. This is a kid who never stops, so I knew something was up. I kept him home from school on Thursday, and was going to send him in Friday but he still seemed a little off. Thatboy brought him in to the doctor - strep throat.
OH strep throat! I am all too familiar with strep throat, it was my nemesis growing up. I had it so often I could recognize it before I could even turn the test at the doctor's office. And I had to have my tonsils out when I was 6. I feel bad I seemed to have passed this proclivity on to him.
The only thing I can do is bring Thatbaby my favorite strep throat treat - ice cream. It feels so good on an owie throat.
One of my favorite kids and ice cream tricks is to freeze ice cream in silicone cupcake liners. They make the perfect serving size and even have a little handle to hold on to. I think normal people would eat them with a spoon, but Thatbaby likes to treat them like ice cream cones and lick them.
Ice Cream Cups
1 1/2 cups macaroons, crumbled
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup sherry
2 cups heavy cream
- Combine 1 cup of the macaroons and the half and half in a bowl and let soak for 1 hour.
- Stir in the sugar and sherry. Place in a metal bowl and freeze until icey.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff.
- Fold the macaroon mixture into the heavy cream. Spoon into silicone cupcake liners.
- Sprinkle the remaining macaroon crumbs over top and freeze.