Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Summer Pick Me Up - Ice Coffee with Jelly


It should come as no surprise that we are insanely busy right now.  During the week it's nonstop action from the time I get up at 6am until I finally collapse in bed sometime after 11pm.  There's the getting ready process in the morning, then work, then coming home and taking care of dinner, bedtimes, and prepping for the next day.  Plus a little workout time worked in - when there's time. 

The weekends are no less stressful.  Sometimes I even wake up earlier to get a run in before the day starts.  There are errands to run, housework to catch up on, and always some sort of fun event to attend - like Little LO's birthday party last weekend.



So how do I get through these long, very full days?  I'm not much of a coffee drinker.  But sometimes I make exceptions.  I am very picky about my coffee when I do drink it.  We have a fantastic local coffee shop that really helps me get through my Saturdays.  I'd much prefer to drink there than at Starbucks.  In general I don't really like Starbucks.  But when I was in college, Starbucks introduced a drink that was on the menu for a very short time period which I adored.  It was the only time I willingly and gladly chose Starbucks over other coffee shops.

So what was this magical drink?  It was a coffee with coffee jelly.  Since I love Boba (drinks with tapioca balls) this quickly became a favorite drink.  I was really sad when they stopped serving it.  So of course I had to learn how to make my own version.   For me, this is the perfect summer drink.  I haven't ever tried it with hot coffee, but I worry that it would melt the jelly, and therefore lose the consistency.  But with a nice ice coffee, it's the perfect way to cool down and start the day.


 Ice Coffee with Jelly
1 pot very strong coffee
1 envelope of gelatin
6 Tbsp sugar
  1.  Mix the gelatin, sugar, and 1/2 cup of cold water in a small pan and let soften for 5 minutes.
  2. Add 2 cups coffee and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the gelatin dissolves.
  3. Pour into a tray and chill until firm.
  4. Turn tray onto a clean work service and cut into small squares.
  5. Place 1/4 cup of coffee jelly in each cup and top with cold coffee, milk, and sugar to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I just had bubble tea the other day after a long hiatus and it reinvigorated my love of boba! I think I would probably love it more in coffee than milk tea, though. Such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete