Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Rainy Day Sunday: Cornmeal Crusted Pork Chops



We've been having unusual weather here.  You may have heard "it never rains in Southern California."  That's not true.  Although it usually does hold true for the summer.  Not this year.  Thatbaby has had two playdates completely rained out.  Well, not completely.  We let the kids splash in the rain for quite some time.  Like I said, summer thunderstorms are rare here.  Although honestly, it's been so dry this winter that even I can't get too upset about rain in the summer.

The first big rain I didn't think to pull out my camera, but I should have.  The kids got soaked and had a blast riding their bikes in the rain.  We convinced them the slides were waterslides.  The only problem with our brilliant plan is no one had brought dry clothes.  I stripped Thatbaby down and bundled him up in my spare sweatshirt I keep in the car when it became clear the rain wasn't letting up.

The second rain I was better prepared and whipped out my camera to catch the kids in action as they splashed through the showers and puddles.




I love the moodiness the rain brings, and I kind of missed it this winter.  Although, I think I prefer the rain in the summer, when the summer heat makes it seem almost refreshing.  I made a special "rain playlist" I've been playing a lot lately, because mood music is so important.  Mood food is important too.  And on a rainy weekend, comfort food definitely sets the mood.  Like pork chops and potatoes.  But not just any pork chops, you need pork chops with a bit of heft to them.  Like these, which are coated in cornmeal and spices.  Served with potatoes and green beans, there's something so homey about them.  Makes you want to curl up beside the fire and watch the thunder roll.

Cornmeal Crusted Pork Chops (From Elly Says Opa)
 
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 eggs
4 bone in pork chops
1.5 TBSP canola oil
  1. Preheat the oven to 425. In a shallow bowl or plate, mix the cornmeal, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and a good amount of salt and pepper to taste. 
  2. In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.
  3. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. 
  4. Dip the pork chops into the beaten eggs, and then dredge into the cornmeal mixture, making sure to coat all sides.
  5. Heat the oil in a large oven-safe nonstick (or well-seasoned cast iron) skillet. Once hot, add the chops to the pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Flip, and cook for another 2 minutes.
  6.  Place the pan into the oven and continue cooking until pork chops are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes, or until pork chops reach an internal temperature of 140º.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, YUM!! Those look so good. You are right about mood food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been having a bit of rain here also and comfort food is definitely on the menu!

    ReplyDelete