Pages

Thursday, June 06, 2013

You Can't Go Back Again: Mexican Chicken Skillet



The first time we headed to the drive-in, Thatbaby fell asleep on the way there, slept through 2 movies, stayed asleep on the way home and once we got home.  It was amazing.

Ever since that first time, we have not been nearly as successful.  But in the naive hope we can once again have that "perfect night" we keep trying. You would think we'd learn our lesson right?  Last weekend was another failure.

We did eventually make it to the drive in to see Hangover 3 and Star Trek 2.  And Thatbaby did fall asleep on the way there.  But woke up right before we arrived.  And then refused to go back to sleep.  Thatbaby did fall asleep again, only to wake up during Star Trek.  Luckily the movies were good, which probably means that we will continue with our misguided plans.

There is another area in which I attempt to go back when I shouldn't.  The chip bag.  I have a lot of bad habits that I didn't even realize I had.  Until I married Thatboy.  Who is quick to point out that I do things like put the toilet paper on the roll the wrong way.  And apparently I don't close chip bags the right way either.  So according to Thatboy, they get stale the day after I open them.  I don't mind, I go right back in there.  Thatboy refuses to touch them though, so I have to come up with creative ways to use them.  Like mixing them into salads or turning them into chilequiles.  This recipe is similar to chilequiles, but more dinner oriented, using tortilla chips, chicken, and cheese.

Mexican Chicken Skillet
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 chicken breast
1 shallot
1 garlic clove
1 chipotle in adobo, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 bag tortilla chips, crushed
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  1. Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a skillet.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet.  Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.  Remove chicken from heat.
  2. Heat remaining oil, then add the shallot, garlic, and chile and cook just until fragrant, about 30 minutes.
  3. Add the chicken broth.  Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer.
  4. Add half of the tortilla chips and the chicken and cook till chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
  5. Let chicken cool, then shred with 2 forks.
  6. Return the shredded chicken to the skillet along with the tomato and the remaining tortilla chips.  Stir to get everything incorporated.
  7. Add the cheese and continue cooking until the cheese melts.

4 comments:

  1. Looks so cheesy!!! Love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the days of the drive-in theatre. I am looking forward however to a dinner and an outdoor movie at a local winery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you dont' realize all of your weird/bad habits until you move in with someone else. Then they become glaring (at least to the other person...I still maintain that I do everything perfectly :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently I don't stack dishes in the dish strainer properly...whatever.

    ReplyDelete