Thatboy loves sweets for breakfast. Pancakes, waffles, and the like. I'm much more into breakfast savories. There's nothing I like better than a nice omelet, or huevos rancheros. I'm a definite "egg for breakfast" type of girl.
But not just any type of egg: eggs with spice, eggs with salt, eggs with veggies!
Hash is just my style for breakfast. A mixture of sausages, peppers, and eggs. In some places known as a skillet because...it's cooked in a skillet. The classic breakfast (eggs, sausage, and potatoes) but all cooked together. Like a breakfast stew. This is exactly the kind of thing that I would order if I saw it on a menu, but when I make it at home, I can eat it in my pajamas. Which is also very much how I prefer to eat breakfast.
Sausage and Potato Hash
3 yukon gold potatoes
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 pkg chicken sausage, sliced.
1/4 onion, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 sprig thyme leaves
1 sprig rosemary leaves
1 sprig oregano leaves
salt and pepper
5 eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp butter
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Remove potatoes from water, let cool, then dice.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Brown sausages, then remove them from pan.
- Add sliced onions, peppers, and garlic to the pan and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Combine sausages with the potato mixture and place in bowls.
- Melt the butter in the skillet, and scramble the eggs.
- Place eggs on top of the sausages and potatoes and serve.