First up, lemon butter cookies. These were especially for Jon since he loves lemon desserts. I'm not as big a fan. And now that I'm working again, I don't have to have baked good sitting around the house. I brought half of these into work and they were gone like they were cookies or something. My mom stopped by this week to view the new pad and had one. She spent the next 5 minutes telling me how good they are. Even I (me?), who doesn't like lemon desserts enjoyed these. They're crisp and buttery like my favorite shortbread cookies. The lemon is there, but it doesn't assault the senses. Instead they melt in your mouth and leave a light citrus aftertaste.
Lemon Butter Cookies1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
sugar for sprinkling
1) Using an electric mixture, mix butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy.
2) Add egg until batter is fluffy.
3) Mix in flour, lemon juice and zest, baking powder and salt. Mold dough into log on wax paper. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate until firm.
4) Preheat oven to 350.
5) Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
6) Transfer to ungreased non-stick cookie sheet. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
7) Bake 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.