Over the weekend, we took a little family vacation to visit ToxicEsq.
Lucky for us, it's a pretty short plane trip away and the boys are good flyers. Especially when they know that air travel means staying in hotels. And they loooooooove hotels.
But as usual, the hotel was really just for sleeping. While we were awake, we were out and exploring. Smack dab between the hotel and ToxicEsq's house was a train park. She had told us about it the last time we visited, but this time it became the highlight of the trip. In addition to actual train engines and cars to oooohhh and ahhhh over, there's a little steam train that goes around the park.
We started off on the train, which gave us a pretty good tour of the park, and a rundown of what the kids wanted to do while we were there. When the ride ended, the boys made a bee-line to the playground.
We let them play for a while, until the mudpit that had been created by the misters proved a little too interesting, at which point we scurried them along to the carousel.
The rest of the time we were there was spent in the pool. 3 days of pool time! The boys were in heaven. Especially because ToxicEsq loaded them up with pool toys.
With that much time in the sun, we all came back a little redder than when we left. And a little more tired. And frankly, I'm even a little sore!
A reward is definitely in order.
A reward like fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies. I don't know how you like your chocolate chip cookies, I know there's disagreement. I like mine melty and chewy. "Crisp" should only describe chips and pretzels. I have to fight the urge to eat them straight from the oven, reminding myself that melty chocolate chips burn tongues which makes cookie eating less enjoyable.
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (From Cooking Light)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp canola oil
5.6 oz all purpose flour
3.3 oz whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat.
- Add oil. Set aside to cool.
- Combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Place butter mixture and sugars in an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until combined.
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat until combined.
- Add flour mixture, beating at low speed just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Use a tablespoon to drop dough 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silpat. Bake for 12 minutes, or until bottoms of cookies begin to brown. Cool slightly.