I will admit, banana is one of my least favorite flavors. It's too overpowering. Put banana in something and that's pretty much the only thing you will taste. I make an exception for Thatmom's banana bread though. I have no concrete theories, but perhaps it's the addition of the equally powerful chocolate chip flavor?
I was a little nervous about Wizenberg's banana bread recipe. Sure it had the classic chocolate chip requirement, but it also had ginger, a flavor Thatboy isn't entirely keen on and can be a little "spicy" for 3 year olds. My worries were only slightly misplaced. Thatboy certainly wasn't a fan of the ginger, but Thatkid sure was! He loved this bread and it became a favorite after-dinner treat for him. And a gateway into the world of quick breads. I got him hooked on zucchini bread shortly after.
Banana Bread with Chocolate and Crystallized Ginger (From A Homemade Life)
6 Tbsp butter, melted
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the chocolate chips and ginger and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork.
- Add the mashed banana, yogurt, butter, and vanilla and stir to mix.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for about an hour. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before turning the bread onto the rack. Cool completely before slicing.