Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Crave Wednesday: Beef and Bacon Pizza

Thatkid is going through a huge bacon phase right now.  I'm not sure why  (I mean, I know why he would like bacon, everyone does, but I don't know why he asks if every restaurant has bacon.  Or if there's bacon on every one of his meals.

What I do know is the addition of bacon to this pizza was a big hit with the little guy.  He gets picky about his pizza.  When he first began eating, he deconstructed pizzas.  Then he went through a "cheese only" phase.  Then he decided he liked pepperoni.  Currently he requests just cheese on his pizza.  So I was a little concerned about this one.  But he loved it.  Loved the beef, especially loved the bacon.  And now wants bacon on all his pizza.

As for the grownups, who are fairly easy to please when pizza is concerned, Thatboy liked this a lot.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about such a meat heavy pizza.  You know what?  This wasn't nearly has heavy as I was expecting.  Despite the fact that it was loaded with beef and bacon, it didn't sink in my stomach (maybe that's why it's Cooking Light?) and I had no problem polishing off a couple pieces.


Beef and Bacon Pizza (From Cooking Light)
1 refrigerated fresh pizza dough
1/2 lb ground sirloin
1 1/4 cup slices onion
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1 Tbsp cornmeal
1/2 cup marinara
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1. Let dough come to room temperature.  Preheat oven to 450.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Cook beef until browned, then remove from skillet.
3.  Add onion to skillet and cook for another 6 minutes.
4.  Add garlic and cook another minute.
5.  Add beef and rosemary back into pan.
6.  Season to taste with pepper.
7.  Sprinkle cornmeal on a large baking sheet.  Roll the dough into a 12 inch circle and palce on the baking sheet.
8.  Spread the sauce over the dough.
9.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella.
10.  Spread the beef mixture over the cheese.
11.  Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. 
12.  Sprinkle with bacon.  Bake for 15 minutes.

1 comment: