Tonight, in anticipation that something good will come of tomorrow, we actually packed up relatively on time. Thatboy still had to pick up Thatbaby from daycare since I wasn't going to make it again. But I DID have time to make dinner! Nothing complicated - we've been having some fairly boring meals lately, mostly due to my lack of creativity when I'm trying to make them late in the evening. This one gets a spruce up from some leftover tomato sauce that I thought should get used up, and some chicken sausage which only needs to be heated up. Which means, the longest aspect of this dish is boiling water and cooking the pasta. While it cooks, you can get everything else ready, so that when the pasta is done, so is dinner!
Rotini and Sausage in Red Wine Sauce
1 pkg chicken sausage
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1/4 cup zinfandel
3/4 cup roasted tomato sauce
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- Brown sausage over medium high heat and remove from pan.
- Add olive oil to pan, then saute the garlic, onions, and bell pepper until onions are transluscent (about 5 minutes).
- Add zinfandel and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add roasted tomato sauce, oregano, basil.
- Add sausage and pasta to pain, toss.
- Stir in parmesan and serve.