As you may or may not have heard, Iron Man 3 came out on Friday. We had a brilliant plan to go see it at the drive-in. Except Friday morning, when I checked out the lineup, I saw that Iron Man 3 was being paired with Oz the Great and Powerful. Which we had already seen.
I texted Thatboy to see if he was still interested in going, or if he wanted to wait till next weekend to see what the pairing would be. He still wanted to go - he was looking forward to a movie night. But he thought we should see the other options - Pain & Gain, paired with Oblivion.
I thought Pain & Gain would be fun, but wasn't really interested in Oblivion, but he wanted to go, so Friday night, off we went.
Truth time: This was not as much fun as our last drive-in adventure. I was exhausted from my week at work, with Friday being especially rough. And neither of the movies ended up being my cup of tea. So for me, it was a long night for no reason. Especially since Thatbaby doesn't sleep in on the weekends. Which means we don't sleep in on the weekends.
Being tired means you look for easy meals. Things that don't require a lot of brain power. This dish certainly fits that description. Whole grains and fruit - bulgar and apples. This could work just as well with rice, couscous, barley, or wheat berries.
Bulgar with Apples (From Branny Boils Over)
1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup bulgur
2 cups stock
salt and pepper
- Spray a pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add apple and cook until tender and browned. Set apples aside.
- Add the bulgur to the pan.
- Pour the egg over the grain and stir 3 minutes, until egg is absorbed by the bulgar, giving it a crumbly appearance.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat.
- Cook 15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the apple and cook until heated through.