Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Kid Tested, Mother Approved: Maftoul with Kale and Garbanzo






At times I toy with starting a blog just to discuss kid-friendly meals.  But thinking about it, we give Thatbaby everything we eat, so the blog would pretty much be identical to the one I have right now. 

Every now and then, however, I stumble across something that takes our household by storm.  A dish that Thatbaby devours and then asks for more.  And then more again. 

Thatbaby had 3 bowls of this maftoul with kale and garbanzo.  Well, he had three bowls of maftoul and garbanzo.  He delicately removed each kale leaf and set it to the side. 

I didn't make this meal with Thatbaby in mind.  I made it because in trying to clear out my pantry a bit I found a box of Israeli couscous.  Not too many bloggers make use of Israeli couscous, but I'm lucky that some of my favorite bloggers do.  Like Cate.  I did think it would be a well received dish because of the garbanzo beans, which Thatbaby adores.  Along with beans of any kind.  He's a bean-o-phile.

I pass this on to you to try in your home, whether or not you have kids.  Thatboy and I didn't have thirds, but we certainly enjoyed it.  And it couldn't be easier to make.  An easy dish that even a toddler loves is something that every household should have on rotation.

Maftoul with Kale and Garbanzos (From Cate's World Kitchen)


2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 large onion, diced
1 cup maftoul
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt
pepper
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 bunch tuscan kale, thick ribs removed, torn into strips
1 can garbanzos, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup water
  1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the couscous, water, cinnamon, and a pinch each of salt and pepper, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is all absorbed and the maftoul is soft.
  3. While that’s simmering, heat the other tablespoon of oil in a wide skillet. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. 
  4. Add the kale and 1/4 cup water, and cook over medium-high until the kale is tender. 
  5. Stir in the garbanzos to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  6. To serve, spoon some maftoul into a dish then top with the kale mixture.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you guys liked it! I need to try making it for Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cate always has the best recipes! Can't believe I missed this one. I don't cook with Israeli couscous enough either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Israeli cous cous. Can always use more ideas/suggestions of what to eat it with.

    ReplyDelete