Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A New Playground!: Butter Cookies


I know, you thought you had seen the last of these playground posts.  I gave you a break for a while, right?

I have several running routes and half of them take me by neighborhood parks, 2 of which have had their playgrounds under construction for what has felt like ages.  For months I have watched the playgrounds being removed and built up, with eager anticipation as they drew nearer to completion.  Seriously, years ago I felt this kind of excitement at seeing a "coming soon" sign for one of my favorite stores.  Now it's playgrounds.  Craziness.

On Monday I ran by the playground closer to us and noticed the fencing had been taken down - it was open!  I was excited to visit, but also to check on the progress of the farther playground, which seemed as though it would be way cooler.  On Tuesday, I ran a longer run which would take me by the playground and was disappointed that the fencing was still up.  So our weekend adventure would have to be at the closer, less cool  but still new and exciting playground.

Until Saturday morning, when I ran by again and noticed that the farther playground was open!  As soon as I got home I gave Thatbaby a hug and told him all about the shiny new playground we'd be visiting that afternoon.

We decided to walk the 2 miles to the playground, during which time Thatbaby fell asleep.  So Thatboy and I did some soccer passes back and forth while we waited for him to wake up.  But when he did wake up.  Hoo boy!



 I've mentioned that Thatbaby loves swings right?  LOVES.SWINGS.   There was also an area with musical instruments.  Things that bing and boom.






Thatbaby also has a thing for drums.







Thatbaby's school has a similar climber, so he's a pro at this.






 And there were loads of interactive games to play.



And slides!  Which he also likes.  Just not as much as swings.






 As usual, I follow up a playground post with a dessert post. These butter cookies are a great alternative to sugar cookies.  Simple and sweet.  But a word of warning - although a picture is worth a thousand words.  When the recipe says these cookies spread, they're not kidding!


Butter Cookies (From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
1/2 lb butter
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 375.  Cream the butter and vanilla.
  2. Gradually add the sugar and eggs and beat well.
  3. Mix the flour and salt together, add to the first mixture, and blend thoroughly.  Arrange on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between the cookies - they will spread during baking. Flatten them with a knife dipped in cold water.  Bake for about 8 minutes until lightly browned.

3 comments:

  1. These looks delicious!!! Need to try them soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for new playgrounds! I don't remember ever having anything that cool when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playgrounds are our places-to-go for the last 3 years ... but I notice that we are going to playgrounds lesser and lesser now. That baby looks so happy enjoying the swing.

    ReplyDelete