Normally our beach-nics are made up of fruit, cookies, sandwiches, and cheese and crackers. But last weekend, I ran out sandwich bread. So sandwiches were out. Luckily I had some of that tart dough left over, so I decided I'd make another one of FF's savory tarts to bring along with us.
This tart is fully baked, and then filled with Mushrooms Duxelles. Mushrooms Dux-what? Fear not loyal readers. I had no idea what these were either. And it turns out it's another of those fancy names for something ridiculously non-fancy. Mushrooms sauteed with butter and onions. Yup. Probably something you've had on more than one occasion. Especially if you've ever had Thatdad make you a steak.
And you know how Thatboy gets oh so excited when I saute garlic? Well multiply that by 50 and you'll have a gist of his reaction to sauteing mushrooms. He must have asked 30 times what I was making that smelled so good, and when would it be ready?
Mushroom Duxelles (From The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, finely chopped
- Melt the butter in a very large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until all the moisture has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
Mushroom and Cream Cheese Tart (From The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp cold butter, in small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup Mushroom Duxelles
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Make the tart dough. Preheat oven to 425. Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal or tiny peas. Whisk in the egg yolks and 2 Tbsp water together in another bowl and add to the flour mixture. Blend until the pastry is smooth and holds together in a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough. Press the dough into tartlet tins. Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450. Mix the mushrooms, cream cheese, and enough of the cream so that it spreads easily.
- Pour into fully baked tart shells, a dust the top with Parmesan and bake 5 minutes.