Pages

Monday, August 27, 2007

You can take the girl out of Mexico...

Seriously, every time the new Platinum Chef Challenge comes out I immediately think "hmmm that sounds like it would be great in "insert Mexican dish here". I'm not sure if its the California sun that has fried my brain, or if its the fact that I'm still dreaming of Puerto Vallarta. Or maybe I'm just not as creative as my second grade teacher would have be believe.

This week's ingredients: Rice, black beans, avocado, grapes, and basil just SCREAMED Mexican to me. Okay, maybe not the grapes and basil, but the rice, black beans and avocado? Why they can be used in practically every dish! Enchiladas, salads, fajitas, tacos, or burritos! We haven't had a burrito in so long, I thought it was about time. Jon's mom makes black bean enchiladas all the time, so I thought a black bean burrito would be a nice twist on that. I feel kinda cheater-y, because really, this is the easiest thing ever to make, but hey, you didn't make it, I did. So I'm the boss and it is officially my first entry into this week's Platinum Chef Challenge.

Black Bean Burritos
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup salsa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 flour tortillas
2 tablespoons Trader Joe's spicy black bean dip
4 tablespoons shredded cheese (I like the 3 cheese Mexican blend)
1 peeled avocado, cut into 6 slices
4 cilantro sprigs
2 lime wedges

1. Spread 1 tablespoon bean dip over each tortilla

2. Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup rice

3. Combine salsa and black beans in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top each tortilla with 1/3 cup black bean mixture.

4. Add 2 tablespoons cheese.

5. Add 2 avocado slices

6. And 2 cilantro sprigs

7. Roll up. Serve with lime wedges.

4 comments:

  1. I want to live at your house. I'm quiet and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious and relatively easy? Oh yes, this will also be made at my house.

    Mr. P will think that an alien has taken over his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drooling right now...
    I may end up making this tomorrow..

    YUM

    ReplyDelete
  4. [drooling]

    jim and i could seriously eat mexican food 4-5 times a week. this sounds just delish!

    ReplyDelete