Pages

Friday, March 06, 2015

Rainy Days and Sundays: Kumquat Preserves





When I first moved to California I rolled my eyes at the whole "it never rains in Southern California" phrase.  It rained.  It rained all the time.  For the first 2 winters I was here, it rained all the time.  And everything flooded.  And it seemed like it would never stop.  But the thing about California rain is that it comes in waves.  After that it was dry for years, until well after I was married.  And then dry again for a number of years.  This is one of our wet winters.  It's been raining since September or October.  Major rainstorms.  

This intro is to let you know it rained this weekend.  A lot of rain.  Which ruined my plans of grilling burgers outside.  Or heading to Sea World for a nice family day.  Instead we spent the days inside, trying to keep a toddler occupied.  We did lots of arts and crafts.  Thatboy got a bunch of household odd jobs done.  I decided to take the opportunity to can some fruits, and Thatkid and I sat and peeled apples.  Except once I got my apples all peeled and cooked, I realized my kettle didn't hold quart sized jars.  Nice.  Good thing Thatkid and I like apples!  We were more than happy to eat the fruits of our labor.  

Instead I turned back to something that didn't need a water bath, and was easy for a 3 year old to help with.  No peeling, no cutting, just dumping and cooking.  This jam phase of mine is very family friendly. And perfect for rainy days.



Kumquat Preserves
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup fresh kumquats
  1. Combine the sugar with 1/2 cup water in a pot and boil for 5 minutes. 
  2. Add the kumquats and cook gently until tender, about 45 minutes.  Pour into a hot, sterilized pint jar and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment