Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sneaking in Summer


The weather has been unseasonably warm this past week.  Warm enough where I have to remind myself it's January.  

This period of sunshine and warmth makes me crave summer vegetables.  I think this is a natural reaction to the winter.  Being deprived of the best of the summer bounty naturally makes you crave the bright rich flavors.  Sunday night we had a giant salad for dinner.  Loaded with mustard greens, tomatoes, and avocados.  I've also been picking up squash from the supermarket.  The great thing about squash is that as a "food group" it's always seasonal.  There are both summer squashes and winter squashes.  And I love them both. 

To celebrate the sunshine I did a switch from my typical winter squash (we've been doing a lot of pumpkin lately) to some yellow crooked-necks.  And then I topped them with some fresh herbs.  None of this is especially seasonal for January, but when it's warm outside, sometimes you do crazy things. 
Sauteed Squash and Herbs
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 lb squash (I used 2 crooked neck squash), sliced
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp basil, chopped
salt and pepper
  1. Melt the butter in a skillet.  Add the squash and cook 10 minutes, stirring and tossing so they are coated in butter.
  2. Sprinkle with the chopped herbs, salt and pepper to taste.

4 comments:

  1. This is a speedy way to make squash and make it tasty with all the herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to eat a raw tomato from the grocery store the other day and it was so very grainy and disappointing. I long for summer produce. This looks like a great way to beat that craving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squash of all kinds is one of those things I'll eat year round...I figure here in NYC we produce so much that it's either going to rot in a cellar somewhere or I'm going to eat it. I'd rather eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We may not be having summer weather, but it was actual dusk when I left work at 5:30 (rather than the usual darkness). So, I'm feeling like summer is coming.

    ReplyDelete