New Years Eve is usually fairly stressful for me. We're traveling, or trying to go out, or trying to figure out what to do. There's so much pressure.
This year we managed to get the best of both worlds, time with friends and mellow time at home. It was the perfect New Year's Eve.
We started off the evening at the Pirates' house. As usual she had the place completely ready for the kids. Complete with photo props.
And ice cream sundaes.
And at 7pm, we did our own ball drop...with a balloon drop!
After that we got the kids in pajamas and let them wind down a little before heading home.
Once we did get home, we tucked Thatbaby into bed and told Thatkid he could stay up until midnight, if he could make it that long. We cuddled up on the couch together watching movies. He and I both barely made it midnight, but we did it!
With the New Year comes a push for cleaner eating. More vegetables, less Doritos. And this sandwich capitalizes on that desire. Loaded with just about every vegetable you might already have in your produce drawer. It is perfect for this early part of the year, but also would be phenomenal for this weekend's Superbowl. The amount of vegetables makes it feel "meaty" and substantial, even without the meat.
Grilled Farmers' Market Sandwiches (From Cooking Light)
2 Tbsp olive oil
8 slices eggplant
2 slices red onion
1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
2 tsp chopped rosemary
1 Tbsp white balsalmic vinegar
4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half horizonally
4 slices provolone cheese
8 slices tomato
8 basil leaves
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Brush 1 Tbsp olive oil evenly over both sides of eggplant, onion, and zucchini.
- Sprinkle with rosmary, salt, and pepper.
- Combine 1 Tbsp oil and vinegar in a bowl.
- Brush vinegar mixture over cut sides of bread.
- Place onion on grill rack coated with cooing spray and grill 6 minutes on each side, or until tender. Remove from grill adn separate into rings.
- Grill eggplant and zucchini 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Cut zucchini pieces in half crosswise.
- Place bread, cut sides down on grill rack and grill 2 minutes. Remove from grill.
- Place 1 piece of cheese on bottom half of each bread portion.
Top each serving with 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice, 1 basil leaf, 2 pieces zucchini, one fourth of the onion rings, 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice, 1 basil leaf, 1 piece of cheese, and the top half of the bread.
- Place sandwiches on grill rack. Grill 2 minutes, covered, or until cheese melts.