Pages

Friday, April 08, 2016

Spring Showers: Chicken Salad with Avocado


One of the things I love about chicken is how one bird can create so many different meals.  I love making a roast chicken on the weekend and using it for various dishes throughout the week.  That is, when we're home during the weekend.

But when we're out of town on the weekend I feel no shame in admitting I take shortcuts.  Like picking up a rotisserie chicken instead of cooking one myself.  I can still make a couple meals out of it, without having to actually be home to make it!

This is one of those quintessential leftover meals.  Or easy weeknight meals.  Or "hey I've got a chicken!" meals.  We always have a bag of Trader Joe's herb salad mix on hand, and I'm always a fan of salad with chicken. 

I eat salad year-round, but I do think it's fair to call this one a "spring" salad.  It's just so green.  I know - unlike other salads, which are also...green.  But the fresh herbs and leafy greens make me feel like winter is almost over.

This is especially important because the weather right now is very winter-y.  It's raining, it's pouring, Thatkid's baseball game last night was cancelled.  And the grey skies are fine during the week, in fact they're almost fitting with my mood as of late.  But they better clear up by this weekend when I've got a long run to squeeze in between the droplets.


Chicken Salad with Avocado
1 rotisserie chicken
juice of 1/2 lemon
3/4 cup mayonnaise 
3 avocados
1/2 cup hazelnut oil
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Trader Joe's herb salad

  1.  Remove the meat from the chicken and dice. Place in a bowl.
  2. Add lemon juice and mayonnaise.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Halve the avocados and slice.  Arrange each half on its own plate.
  4. Top the avocado halves with the chicken.
  5. Whisk together the oil and vinegar.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  
  6. Toss the salad with enough dressing to coat and place on top of chicken.

1 comment: