Baseball has taken over our lives right now. Thatkid has a baseball game twice a week, once during the week, and every Saturday. He loves it. He loves seeing his friends and he loves the game. Earlier this week after work he and I were tossing the ball around in the back yard. He told me we were professional baseball players. I informed him that until someone started paying us, we couldn't really be considered professional.
Professional baseball is on his mind a lot this week, because he went to his first professional baseball game this past weekend.
After we saw Thatkid, we headed up to the nosebleeds to our seats.
We were pretty high up, but we had an amazing view of the field.
Eventually the rest of the rugrats joined us. There was a lot more horseplay and eating junk food than game-watching. But Thatkid said it was the highlight of his weekend.
Pancakes with bacon are a pretty well known thing. But what do you think about pancakes with pancetta? Brilliant idea right? Pancetta is like fancy bacon anyway. These pancakes are dense and thick, which pairs well with the salty meat. And the salty meat is perfectly complemented by the sweet maple syrup. While normally I'm not a huge fan of maple syrup on pancakes, I really like the combination of these flavors together. I'm going to miss it next week!
Pancakes with Pancetta and Maple Syrup
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp melted butter
2/3 cup milk
12 slices pancetta
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk in the eggs, butter, and milk.
- Preheat a broiler and broil the pancetta until crisp.
- Heat a skillet and when hot, wipe it down with vegetable oil. Drop dollops of the pancake into the pan so they make 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cook about 2 minutes per side, then flip and cook another minute.
- Divided between 4 plates. Top with pancetta and pour maple syrup over.