Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

Baked Tomato and Tapenade Galette


I bought a pineapple 2 weeks ago.  Despite the fact that it is far from pineapple season.  And it was amazing.  It's what got Thatbaby hooked on pineapple.

So I pressed my luck again and got a watermelon this past week.  It was not the same experience.  While both kids happily munched on slices, Thatboy and I were unimpressed by the lack of any sort of flavor.  But not unsurprised.  You just can't get good watermelon in March.

I should know better.  I used to be so good about eating in season.  And for the most part I still do.  But there are those times where I throw caution to the wind and buy what I want.  Like the plums and nectarines that came home with me over the past few weeks.

Are you sensing a trend that my impulse purchases seem to revolve around fruit?  Because they do.  And I mean the broad definition of fruit, the one that includes tomatoes.  I hate myself for buying tomatoes in the winter, because they are not a year-round fruit.  But at the same time, I love tomatoes, so it's hard not to pick some up every week at the store.

Paired with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar, these winter tomatoes still shine.  Balsamic is great for bringing out sweetness that way.  The puff pastry isn't given a chance to rise. making these galettes a flaky tart, as opposed to an overly doughy pizza.  In reality, this really is a summer recipe.  Light and crisp, they'd make the perfect picnic staple.  Especially with summer tomatoes.

Baked Tomato and Tapenade Galette
1 1/3 cups goat cheese, chopped
 1/3 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp chopped basil
1 sheet of puff pastry, cut into 6 inch rounds
4 Tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
8 plum tomatoes
4 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp chopped thyme
4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
  1. Heat the goat cheese in a small saucepan.
  2. Mix in the cream and remove from the heat.
  3. Add in the chopped basil and some freshly ground pepper.
  4. Preheat the oven to 350.  Place the puff pastry rounds between 2 sheets of wax paper and place on a baking sheet.  Lay another baking sheet on top and bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.  
  5. Turn oven to a low temperature.  Divide the sundried tomato paste between the pastry rounds.
  6. Spoon a small amount of the goat cheese mixture into the center of each round.
  7. Slice the plum tomatoes thinly and arrange on top.
  8. Drizzle the rounds with olive oil
  9. Season with salt and pepper and put in the oven to warm for 3-4 minutes.
  10. Sprinkle with thyme.
  11. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Buying off-season is often a bad idea, but I can't resist either! So glad the pineapple worked for you, and if the watermelon didn't ... well, maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been buying strawberries like CRAZY because they've been on sale...and honestly they've been pretty dang good even though it's probably not strawberry season anywhere. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete