You may recall that I started this "Crave" adventure with a Chicago-style deep dish pizza. This is Cooking Light's version of the same dish. I'm not going to lie, this one is more complicated and not quite as good.
Honestly, I would probably like it better if it wasn't quite as labor intensive. There's a lot of steps and waiting. I have a feeling it would work as well with prepared dough.
Despite my reservations, the rest of the family really enjoyed this. Thatboy much preferred it to the pepperoni deep dish pizza I felt tasted like cafeteria pizza. And the chicken sausage was mild enough for Thatkid to enjoy.
This pizza also makes for great leftovers - because the beauty of deep dish pizza is that one slice is really enough!
Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza (From Cooking Light)
2 tsp sugar
1 pkg dry yeast
1 cup warm water
4 tsp olive oil
2 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 precooked mild Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
1 can whole tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh basil
2 cups tinly sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, and salt in bowl. Stir flour mixture into yeast mixture until dough forms a ball
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic. Add enough of the remaining flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated in cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Punch down, cover, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 15x11-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough in a 13x9 inch glass dish coated with cooking spray, pressing dough up side of dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese evenly over dough.
- Arrange chopped sausage over cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400. Chop tomatoes and place in a sieve.
- Stir in oregano and basil and drain for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in bell peppers and cook 8 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange vegetables over sausage.
- Spoon tomatoe mixture evenly over vegetables nad sausage.
- Sprinkle easily with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 25 minutes. Cut pizza into 8 rectangles.