Pages

Sunday, October 05, 2014

Sunday Runday: Baby It's Hot Outside

This is probably too little too late for the rest of the country, but by golly it is hot here in California!  We're in the middle of a very late summer, full of heat wave after heat wave.  So even though it's late, here's the rundown on running in the heat.

1) Run early, run late.  If possible, try to get out before the sun comes up or after it goes down. It's cooler then, even if you're more tired!  I hate getting up so early on the weekends, but when I do my runs with friends, we try to start shortly before sunrise.  That way it's just starting to beat down on us by the end of the run.

2) Dress smart.  Light colors, sweat wicking fabrics.  The worst thing to wear while running in the heat is cotton.  Which is going to get wet, heavy, and uncomfortable.  I'm not confident enough in my body to head out in a sports bra and shorts, but this is where tanks are my friend, and one of the reason I love running skirts.

3) Hydrate!  When I do short runs I rarely bring water with me.  Except when it's so hot out.  Because the more you sweat, the more you need water.  I try to drink a whole bottle before I head out and then make sure I take a sip or two every mile.

4) Sunscreen.  Really, this should be part of your routine with every run.  But if you're a slacker, it's especially important in hot weather.

5) Sweatbands. Or headbands.  Whatever you call them.  Maybe this is just a me thing, but lately I've been having a real issue with sweat running into my eyes.  It stings.  So in hot weather I make sure that I'm wearing a thicker, more absorbent headband to help keep that sweat at bay.

6) Body glide.  More sweat = more chafing.  It's a fact.  Wet clothes rub.  So I'm especially diligent about using something for anti-chafe on hot days.


Stay tuned for next summer when I tell you all about running in cold weather!

1 comment:

  1. Luckily in Central Park there are water fountains every mile or so. But yes, all of this is super key!

    ReplyDelete