Pages

Friday, November 08, 2013

Roll Me: Shrimp Tempura Rolls


We haven't been out for sushi in a very long time.  In fact, the last time I went out for sushi, I think Thatbaby was about 8 months old.  Sometimes I'll make sushi at home, but given that I don't like fish, we usually have California rolls.  Which isn't too exciting for Thatboy. 

I decided to give him a little treat and jazz up our at home sushi.   I'm still not bringing raw fish into the house, but cooked shellfish?  I can definitely get behind that!  Crab and shrimp rolls are another standard of mine when we go out for sushi, and tempura shrimp is relatively easy to find in the freezer case of the grocery store.  Which makes this just as easy as a California roll.  

I added my favorite sushi accompaniments - avocado and cucumber.  I pretty much love avocado with everything, and cucumber adds a nice crunch.  And I make my sushi with brown rice.  Because that's the kind of rice we keep on hand.

This isn't an especially toddler friendly meal - unless your toddler likes sushi.  My guy wanted me to unwrap his first.  Then he picked out and ate the avocado.  Then we convinced him the shrimp was the way to go and he had a couple bites of that too.  Then he discovered you could dip the whole thing in soy sauce and he was sold.


Shrimp Tempura Rolls
1 cup brown rice
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
8 squares of nori
1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
1 avocado, cut into thin strips
8 shrimp tempura.  (I like the frozen ones from Trader Joes.)
  1. Cook rice using your preferred method (I like the rice cooker).
  2. Combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl.  Heat in a microwave for 30 seconds.
  3. Stir the vinegar mixture into the cooked rice.  Let cool.
  4. Cook the shrimp according to package directions.
  5. Take a square of nori.  Place a spoonful of rice in the middle.
  6. Top with a shrimp, some cucumber, and some avocado. Roll!

4 comments:

  1. I REALLY hope my kids like sushi. Or I might just have to disown them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We just went out for sushi for the first time in a long time on Friday night. I ordered a shrimp roll! I will have to give my hand at making them at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really a nice recipe. Nice to go through it. Like to try. Keep sharing and thank you for sharing.
    Josie - Frozen Yogurt Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look perfect! I love, love sushi!

    ReplyDelete