As I mentioned, September starts a non-stop busy time in Thathouse. So I decided to plan a little weekend away for the three of us. Something close and convenient - Palm Springs! (or Palm Desert to be more exact)
This was the first trip we've done as a family! We've taken other vacations, but they've been with Thatmom, TMIL, or all of Thatboy's family. We decided to really tailor this trip to Thatbaby - because we could. Because there was no one else to complain about doing something else, or to whine over naptime breaks, or to hurry to get ready to eat dinner at a toddler friendly time.
We began with working with Thatbaby's innate ability to sleep in the car and make travel convenient for all of us. We came home from work/school on Friday and ate a lovely dinner together as a family. Something that used up a lot of the produce in our fridge - since I hate leaving produce when we go out of town. Or rather, I hate coming home to wilty, drippy, produce.
Then I packed our bags while Thatboy gave Thatbaby a bath and got him in pajamas. What does one pack for a weekend in the desert in November?
Boots - Button Down Shirt - Pajamas - Running Clothes
Undergarments - Shorts - Pool Coverup
Bathing Suit - Scarf - Dresses
Once we were packed and pajamaed, we piled into the car. A few short hours later, we were there!
1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
8 oz of penne pasta
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1 cloves garlic, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add the onions and cook until transluscent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and broccoli and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cherry tomatoes and cook for another minute. Remove from pan.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt.
- Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until a thick, bubbly paste forms.
- Whisk in the milk and continue to cook until thick.
- Stir in the parmesan.
- Add the chicken, veggies, and cooked pasta, tossing to coat.