My meeting ended up lasting even longer than anticipated when the client didn't show up. We headed back and got a phone call when we were halfway home. Which meant turning around and heading back. When I got home last night, Thatbaby had been in bed for a long time, and Thatboy had my pasta warming up for me, stovetop. He passed me a bowl as I curled into the couch, finally through with the day.
That's the beautiful thing about pasta. It can be made ahead of time, reheats beautifully, and makes you feel better after a long, hard day. Cavatappi is my go-to favorite pasta right now. I love the ridges that collect every last bit of sauce. And the curl that aids in holding a pea perfectly nestled in the shape. Elly is my go-to pasta recipe-er right now. Each one she features is simple, yet satisfying. Rumor has it (since I wasn't there) Thatbaby ate 3 bowls himself last night!
Cavatappi with Goat Cheese, Peas and Bacon (From Elly Says Opa)
3 strips bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup peas
2 oz. goat cheese
2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
freshly ground pepper and salt if needed
- Cook the cavatappi according to directions on box. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, cook bacon over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Remove bacon from skillet and place on a paper towel to drain. Add the garlic to the bacon fat and cook about 30 seconds, until you can smell the garlic.
- Add in the pasta, peas, and the reserved pasta water. Cook until everything is heated through.
- Add the goat cheese and stir into the pasta. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle pine nuts over before serving.