Thursday, September 06, 2012

Pancake Benedicts - a twist on my favorite




I've been trying to incorporate a couple of vegetarian meals into our weekly dinner rotation.  It's good for the budget, it's good for the body, and it's good because I get to try out recipes from some of my favorite vegetarian-friendly blogs.

Like Cate's! A few weeks back I made the smokey black beans with spinach and masa dumplings found in her blog.  I failed to take a picture of my misshapen lumps and they were gone without any leftovers.  Well maybe I shouldn't say "any leftovers" because I was left with a bag of masa flour. 

So I went searching for recipes using Masa and stumbled upon this one.  And my eyes lit up.  You see, one of my favorite breakfasts of all times is a Southwestern Eggs Benedict.  I love it so much I play with every variation I can think of.  I put it on bagels, English muffins, corn bread.  But I'd never had it on a pancake before!  A corn-flour pancake, topped with a poached egg and some Southwestern flavor sounded right up my alley.

This was a huge hit with everyone - even Thatbaby who gets his eggs "poached hard."  The rest of us got soft, creamy eggs that released their bounty over a pile of salsa.  With gooey cheese added in for good measure.  Breakfast, is served!



Masa Pancakes Topped with Poached Eggs (adapted from Bon App├ętit via epicurious.com as seen on The Way The Cookie Crumbles)
¾ cup masa harina (corn tortilla mix)
½ cup (2.4 ounces) all purpose flour
½ cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for cooking the pancakes
12 large eggs + vinegar
Salsa
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread masa harina on a heavy baking sheet and bake until fragrant and golden, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.

2. Whisk masa, flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.

3. Whisk the buttermilk, 2 eggs and 3 tablespoons oil in a medium bowl to blend.

4. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk just until blended (the batter will be thick).

5. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Working in batches, spoon scant ½ cup batter onto the griddle. Using a spoon, spread the batter to a make 4-inch-diameter pancake. Cook until the bottom is golden, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook until the second side is golden, about 3 minutes.

6. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer. Add a little vinegar (a splash, if you will).  Working one at a time, crack each egg into a small ramekin.  Use a spoon to quickly stir the simmer water, to create a whirlpool.  Pour the egg from the ramekin into the whirlpool.  (I usually will do 2-3 eggs at a time this way).  Simmer until the eggs are softly poached, about 3 minutes. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon.

7. Divide the pancakes among plates. Top each pancake with salsa and 2 poached eggs and sprinkle with cilantro and cheese. Serve immediately.

7 comments:

  1. Cornmeal pancakes + eggs sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been trying to think of more vegetarian options for those same reasons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE eggs benedict...and adding the masa pancakes has to make them infinitely better! I made masa crepes not too long ago that I stuffed with swiss chard and chiles...you should check out the recipe if you have any masa left over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already made them and will be blogging about them soon. They were a HUGE hit over here.

      Delete
  4. I love breakfast for dinner! This is a neat way to serve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOoh! What a great idea. We love eggs benedict here too. Love the idea of loading everything on masa pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pancakes look extra loaded with flavor, I love eggs Benedict too!

    ReplyDelete