After Tashlict service, Thatboy headed back down to San Diego, leaving me and Thatbaby up in Orange County. See, Thatbaby's daycare was closed for both days of Rosh Hashannah, so I planned for a playdate in Orange County last Tuesday.
We hit the beach and Thatbaby got another day in the sand. He's getting a lot of those lately. The weather here has been more than cooperative - it's been downright hot! The dog days of summer indeed.
One of the great things about summer are the sweet, creamy avocados that become insanely cheap. I use them in just about everything lately. Thatbaby is also a fan, as I use avocado in place of mayonnaise in most of his sandwiches.
With that in mind, when I stumbled across these avocado eggs benedicts I knew they would be a great breakfast hit. For Thatboy and I, the benedicts were topped with the recommended chipotle hollandaise sauce, which Thatboy finds to be far superior to regular hollandaise sauce.
Thatbaby gets a modified version with no sauce, and a hard-poached egg. I was right about them being a hit. He loved his. I even think I saw him licking his English muffin, and with avocados this delicious, can you blame him?
Confections of a Foodie Bride)
- 2 English muffins
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 avocado
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 chipotle + 1 Tbsp adobo sauce (from canned chipotles in adobo)
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- Heat a sauce pan with 2 inches of water to a simmer.
- Split the English muffins in half and toast until browned.
- Cook the bacon to a crisp and set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt and mash with a fork.
- Spread the avocado over the toasted English muffin halves and top with the bacon.
- Crack 1 egg at a time into a separate small bowl or cup. Stir the simmering water with a spoon and gently pour the egg into the swirling water. Repeat with the second egg (I poach two at a time).
- Cook the eggs for 2 1/2 minutes, until the whites are cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain for a minute before placing on top of the bacon.
- Cook the remaining two eggs and serve seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Place egg yolks, lemon, salt, chipotle and adobo sauce in the blender.
- Blend for 30 seconds before streaming in the melted butter
- Serve immediately.