Pages

Saturday, December 03, 2011

Sufferin' Succotash




Before a couple of years ago, the only time I had ever heard of succotash was when it was uttered, alongside what could only be gallons of spittle, by Sylvester the Cat. I assumed it was one of those nonsense phrases like "Gee Wilikers."

Turns out succotash really is something. A vegetable medley that's a little different than your peas and carrots. My discovery began with Trader Joes - as all good discoveries do. In fact, if Christopher Columbus had a Trader Joes by him, he would have known he hadn't landed in India because - duh, no masala to be found anywhere. However, he would have seen succotash, which should have clued him in that this, my friends, was America. Land of the free and the brave - until the Pilgrims came and took the freedom of the braves.

Trader Joes has an edamame succotash that I pick up every now and again for variety. But traditional succotash, it turns out, is a lima bean dish. And we all know how much I love lima beans. Further research indicates that succotash was originally a Native American dish that was popular during the Great Depression because it was inexpensive to make. Which makes sense, since for many years corn was considered food for livestock, and not people.

Now I'll eat lima beans anyway I can get them, but Thatboy isn't as entirely easy to please in that department. So pairing them with corn and cream seemed like a good way to get him interested. And I was definitely right on the mark with that. This is probably his new favorite way to eat lima beans.


Succotash
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup cooked corn
1 cup cooked lima beans
2 Tbsp cream
salt and pepper
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the corn and lima beans and heat through.
  2. Add the cream and stir to combine. Heat until the entire dish is warmed.
  3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

7 comments:

  1. Love it! Remember the saying and the cartoon and always wondered what it was!!!
    I love the colour and nutrients in this side. It is definitely a MUST try!
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered what succotash was. And always loved Sylvester. Clever line about Pilgrims...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful. I make a version with edamame, so I'm no stranger to this dish and happen to love succotash. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all grew up with Sylvester the Cat and Tweety. Popeye championed spinach too:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! You're right! Now I remember...I have heard the word succotash before. I learned what it was years ago but it never registered to me to Slyvester. Ah, I loved Slyvester, he was adorable and his lisp cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was little I definitely thought succotash was one of those nonsense words also. But now i know it stands for deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete