Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Recap



I hope all of you had a fabulous holiday - is there any holiday more geared toward foodies than Thanksgiving? I mean, technically every Jewish holiday resolves around the holiday meal no matter what the celebration, but Thanksgiving is nationally recognized as the day about a turkey. If you don't have school aged children do you remember the actual Thanksgiving story?

We discussed the Thanksgiving story at dinner. I remember it being a way for the Pilgrims to thank the Indians for helping them make it through a long winter - but if that's the case, then how could it have been held in November? Before the winter even started?

Whatever the reason, now it is a great time to remember what we are thankful for and to join with friends and family in the beginning of the winter holiday season.



As usual, we spent Thanksgiving at Thatmom's house where the food was plentiful. I took a picture of the beginning of laying out the dishes - which is good, because shortly after this picture was taken I completely burnt all the marshmallows atop the candied yams. Which is especially sad since they're my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal.



We weren't the only ones to make the trek to Thatmom's house - our relatives always know where they'll be spending their holiday. And we always manage to pick up a couple of stragglers in addition.



Thatbaby was so excited to take part in his first Thanksgiving. Although I think next year might be more fun for him, when he can actually eat the turkey.

I completely forgot to take a picture of the dessert table. In addition to my cheesecake, pumpkin pie, and ice cream there was also apple crisp, an ice cream cake in honor of Thatboy's birthday, a cranberry hazelnut loaf, and a 20lb cake.

But Thatmom had also asked me to handle one more thing other than dessert - she wanted me to make a "bread" or, more specifically, biscuits. Eagerly I anticipated making my "crack biscuits" - a drop biscuit loaded with cream and butter. Thatboy and I eat them 2 at a time. But Thatmom didn't want my crack biscuits. She requested baking soda biscuits. Even when I told her that the crack biscuits had baking soda in them, she didn't buy it.

I've never made baking soda biscuits before. They were always Thatmom's thing. And, as always, when I go to make something new I turn first to Fannie Farmer. Thatmom said these exceeded her expectations, and since they were her request that's good enough for me. Although they probably won't replace my crack biscuits. I made some cranberry butter to serve alongside them and loved the flavor it imparted. As a side note, I used the butter on my leftover turkey sandwich the next day which was amazing.


Baking Powder Biscuits (From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
  1. Preheat the oven to 425. Grease two 8-inch cake pans. Put the flour, salt, baking powder, cram of tartar and sugar in a bowl.
  2. Cut the shortening into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  3. Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough forms a ball around the fork.
  4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead 14 times. Pat until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a 2 inch cookie cutter. Place touching each other in the cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Love the cranberry butter with theses classic buscuits too That Girl. Glad you had an amazing Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a feast. It sounds like you all had a marvelous time. The butter and the biscuits both sound delicious. You have a lucky family. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of crack biscuits - of course biscuits are off my radar - everyone does them better than me. If you guarantee they will work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go to your Thanksgiving and camp out at the dessert table.
    Also...my mom ALWAYS made the Fannie Farmer baking powder biscuits when I was growing up! Memories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love big Thanksgivings with lots of people and especially the stragglers. Your biscuits look great. I always roll mine out too thin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot biscuits with butter. This might sound sacrilegious, but I'd totally rather have biscuits than turkey for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Cate. Dessert table is where it's AT.

    That cranberry butter too...I'd probably just go at that with a fork.

    ReplyDelete