Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Return of Eat to the Beat!


I'm not going to lie - I play favorites. And Elly? She's one of my favorite bloggers. I would follow her lead the end of the blogosphere and back. So years ago when she announced she was going to do a blog event I of course jumped in with both feet.

Eat to the Beat requested bloggers to make and blog about a food or drink related to a song, album, band - something music related. It was fun to come up with ideas for my favorite songs or bands. And then it stopped. Probably because Elly got busy with that little thing she calls a "son."

This year marks Elly's fifth year blogging, and in honor of her anniversary she brought back Eat to the Beat. Yay! And I wanted to do something really fun. So of course, I sat around doing nothing for near a month. Then I decided I needed to get on it, so I thought of one of my favorite songs - House of the Rising Sun by the Animals. And then I sat around trying to think of a good food or drink to make related to it. Which wasn't going so well. I told Elly I was going to end up copping out and just doing something New Orleans related.

And then, the other morning, I was in the shower when inspiration hit. (Because that's where it always hits, right?) I started singing a song that is running through my head a lot lately - Christina Perri's "Jar of Hearts."

Who do you think you are?
Running 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart.

And I thought, what if I did that? What if I made a jar of hearts! Heart-shaped cookies that is.



Thatboy agreed it was a great idea - as long as I made them pink like a real heart. Then I just had to figure out what kind of heart-shaped cookie I would make. I do a lot of shortbread cookies - because they're easy. But I wanted to do something different than what I always do.

Lisa recently blogged about Polish pretzel butter cookies, which reminded me of how much I love butter cookies and how much they remind me of my grandfather. He had Alzheimers and every time we visited him in the VA hospital we'd bring him a tin of butter cookies. So I decided to do a jar of butter cookie hearts.

I was going to do a pink frosting over top, and thought buttercream would be delicious on butter cookies, but a little too soft for a jar of cookies. Fannie Farmer (you knew she'd show up again, right?) tops her butter cookies with a meringue. I love meringues and they're the perfect consistency for the jar.

And so - without further ado - because the deadline is, after all, tomorrow: my Eat to the Beat entry.

Jar of Heart(shaped butter cookie)s
2 sticks of butter
1 egg yolk
1/4 + 2 Tbsp of powdered sugar
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1/2 cup sugar
red food coloring
  1. Preheat oven to 325. Cream the butter in an electric mixer.
  2. Add the egg yolk and powdered sugar and mix thoroughly.
  3. Slowly mix in the flour.
  4. Add the sherry and make sure all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  5. Roll out the cookie dough till it's 3/8 inch thick. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut cookies and place on cookie sheets.
  6. Beat the egg white until stiff. Gradually beat in half the sugar.
  7. Add a drop or two of food coloring and the other half of the sugar and beat.
  8. Spread the meringue over the cookie and bake for 25 minutes.
  9. Place cookies in a jar!

3 comments:

  1. Cute cookies and thanks for the mention! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd follow Elly to the end of the blogosphere also, so you and I'd be there together!

    This is SUCH a cute idea! I've never heard of meringue as a cookie topping but really, why not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies look great, and I love the song connection. Thanks, as always, for participating! But let's be honest, I'm way too lazy to drag my ass to the end of the blogosphere and back. :)

    ReplyDelete