Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Dried Cherry Jubilee



During the week, Thatboy and I grab breakfast on the go. He takes a yogurt to work, and depending on how much time I have, I'll either have cereal at home, or make something I can eat in the car on the way to work. (By the way, the amount of chocolate milk boxes I have in my front seat is getting to be embarrassing)

On the weekends I like to make us a nice breakfast - if Thatboy is running off on a surf date. We can sit and enjoy something more time consuming, like eggs, benedicts, muffins, or pancakes. I picked up some dried cherries to make Ellie Krieger's Walnut and Dried Cherry Bars thinking they would do double duty. Nice breakfast for the weekend, and something we could grab on our way out during the week. I had some leftover dried cherries and decided to combine them in the best way possible - with chocolate.

Thatboy does not especially love fruit and chocolate (with the exception of chocolate covered strawberries - which seems to be an exception everyone makes). Because of this, I knew that making cookies or cake with chocolate and cherries would probably result in a lot of leftovers. I'm fairly certain he would have eaten ice cream, but we're trying to save room in the freezer. So bread it was.

This is a fabulous bread. I love it with an egg white on top for breakfast - the heat of the egg melts the chocolate ever so slightly. It's also great with some cream cheese. And don't tell anyone, but I've even seen Thatboy toast it and slather it with butter. Guess he doesn't mind chocolate and fruit so much after all.



Chocolate Cherry Bread

2 cup flour
1 pkg yeast
2.5 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter
1egg
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate, chopped (or 1/4 cup of chocolate chips)

  1. Heat the milk and butter and dissolve the yeast in the warm liquid.
  2. Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in an electric mixer. Stir the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients.
  3. Add the egg and beat on medium speed until smooth and elastic.
  4. Mix in the chopped cherries and chocolate.
  5. Place batter in large loaf pan and let rise in a warm, draft free place until it has doubled in size (I usually give it an hour).
  6. Preheat oven to 325. Bake for 40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I just had a bowl of Shredded Wheat..somehow that just doesn't measure up!

    ReplyDelete