One of the things Thatboy and I have in common is terrible birthdays. Both because of timing. My birthday happens to fall during finals, or summer vacation. There was even a year when my entire family was on vacation without me. For Thatboy the problem is Thanksgiving. His family never really celebrated his birthday because they were too busy celebrating his brother's birthday 2 weeks earlier, or Thankgiving itself. During our dating years, I never got to celebrate his birthday with him because he went home to his family. My family would throw him a little party when he returned - but it wasn't the same. As soon as we were married, Thatboy began spending Thanksgiving with my family and the birthday celebrations began.
I've done everything in my power to make a big deal out of Thatboy's birthday, and this year is no exception. The celebration starts tonight when we'll head out to celebrate with Thatboy's birthday twin, H. And then I'm whisking him away for a surprise weekend - shhhh he doesn't know. The celebration will continue alll the way till DH's actual birthday next week. So stay tuned for lots of birthday fun.
Pound (cup)Cakes with Strawberry Filling
12 oz strawberries, hulled
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp water
1/2 lbs butter
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
- Combine the strawberries, sugar, and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in cornstarch until smooth. Boil 3 minutes or until thick.
- Preheat oven to 325. Cream the butter, slowly add sugar and beat until light.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each in well.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and vanilla and combine well.
- Spoon into cupcake liners in muffin pan and bake for 25 - 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before moving onto a rack.
- When cupcakes are cool, cut a cone shape out of the top, being careful not to create a hole clean through the bottom of the cupcake.
- Fill this cone shaped hole with strawberry sauce and replace the cake cone you cut out. (You may need to trim the bottom of the cone so it doesn't force out all your filling. This is a good time to call your husband into the kitchen to eat all the cone cuttings. He will love you forever)