I wanted to get one more summer treat in before the summer season is officially over - and mother nature must agree with me, because we're looking forward to another SUPER hot week coming up. Sounds like someone else isn't quite ready for autumn either.
Fresh berries are one of my favorite parts of summer. And I've been using them on an almost daily basis. Especially when I can get a carton of strawberries or raspberries for a mere $.99! Which means we've been having sorbets, ice cream, and of course, frozen berry pie. Thathouse has turned into a regular ice cream shop, and Thatboy loves my nightly experimentations. He doesn't even mind the fact that most of these fresh berry deserts are *gasp* relatively healthy! Sorbet with sweetness coming from the fresh fruit, ice cream made with half and half and skim milk, and berry pie made with fat free cool whip (although this last one is a bit of a cheat since sweetened condensed milk isn't exactly what I'd call healthy.......although we're both in love with it.)
Happy end of summer y'all!
Frozen Berry Pie
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries
- 1 container of fat free cool whip
- premade graham cracker pie crust
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- Mix condensed milk and lemon juice.
- Stir in raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.
- Fold in the cool whip and gently stir to disperse the berries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
- Freeze overnight.
- Top with strawberry halves.