Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sunday Runday: Zombies Run Virtual 5k

About 2 weeks ago I got a brown envelope in the mail.  I gleefully opened it to find a bib, operative report, and a top secret envelope.

It was my race packet for the Zombies Run Virtual race!

This virtual was unlike any other virtual race I've heard of done, in the best way possible.  To begin with, this was a virtual race with a community.  Once you signed up for the race, you were able to log on to a forum for the runners.  There other Runner 5s from all over the world talked about their experiences with the game/app, running, races, and of course, the training and running of the virtual race.

You could choose between a 10k or 5k.   The race worked like the app does, with the storyline coming in at certain intervals.  Both distances had the same storyline, but longer intervals between the breaking in.

Signing up for the race meant you also had access to 2 "training runs" - two storylines that were also 5ks and gave you background for the race story.

There was a range of a week in which to complete the virtual race.  Last weekend I needed to get in 9 miles, so I decided it was the perfect time to get in my 5k.


Since I had to do 9 miles,  I decided to do the 2 training runs and the 5k.  I also decided to head to the coast for my run.  It was the perfect setting, because the entire coast was robed in fog.  Giving it an eerie vibe as I ran.



I started in Del Mar and ran up through Solana Beach, which isn't the most scenic part of the run, but I love the wide sidewalks.


Shortly past the Cardiff Kook, I hit the half-way point and turned around.


When I got back to my car, I had my fun little prize waiting for me.


Inside I found a little pin, a commendation, and of course, the medal!






This was a really great virtual race.  One of my favorite aspects of races is the adrenaline and camaraderie, and you don't usually get that with virtual races.  I already love the Zombies Run! app, so this only solidified my adoration. 

And really, it doesn't hurt to get a medal after a random training run, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment