Pages

Friday, April 15, 2016

Pan-fried Wild Mushrooms with Parmesan and Thyme Butter





There are a lot of things I love about mushrooms.  But one of my favorite mushroom stories actually involves Thatbrother. 

I love my brother, but like everyone else in our family he often speaks with authority about things he knows little about.  It's a family trait.  I'm not sure if it's learned or inherited, but there you go.

Like many Thatbrother stories, I don't remember the exact context of this one.  But like many Thatbrother stories what I do remember is the tagline - mushrooms are full of protein.  It's become a running joke in our house when talking about vegetables. 

I can see where he got this idea.  Portobellos are often subbed in for hamburger patties.  But it's not due to their high protein content, it's due to the fact they are so delicious on their own they work as a great meat substitute.

Mushrooms are fantastic like that.  You can make a whole meal out of them!  I mean, I enjoy celery as much as the next person, but when was the last time you made a bowl of celery and just sat and enjoyed?  There is nothing decadent about celery.

But a bowl of mushrooms, sauteed in butter and cream, topped with cheese?  Well that's just about indulgent as a "side dish" can get.

Pan-fried Wild Mushrooms with Parmesan & Thyme Butter
8oz wild mushrooms
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp thyme leaves
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp chives
4 Tbsp Parmesan shavings
  1. Heat the oil in a skillet.  Cut the mushrooms into thin slices and add to skillet.  Saute for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
  2. Add the butter and thyme to the skillet. 
  3. Once the butter starts to melt, stir in the cream and chives.  Cook for another 203 minutes until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Divide the mushroom mixture among warmed wide-rimmed bowls and scatter the Parmesan shavings on top.  Serve immediately with some crusty bread.


1 comment:

  1. What? They are not high in protein? haha I am a total sucker for mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete