Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Trying something new: Black Bean Burger






Can I tell you something? I'm not a huge fan of the frozen "meatless burgers."  I've tried a bunch of different varieties, but they all are a little...cardboardy.  So for the past few weeks I've been trying the make my own veggie patties at home.

We're not vegetarian, but I do like to incorporate vegetarian meals, and meatless burgers are such an easy way to go.

I started out with black bean burgers, since that is a fairly common substitute.  These tasted delicious.  No cardboard, but they didn't hold together all that well.  Thatbaby loved it, since they became more like refried beans.  Next time I think more breadcrumbs are in order.  I'll keep you updated.

Black Bean Burgers

2 cans black beans
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregan
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3 Tbsp canola oil
hamburger buns
  1. Mash one can of the beans with breadcrumbs, cumin, oregano, and caynenne.  
  2. Stir in cilantro and remaining beans.  Form into 4 patties. 
  3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.  Cook burgers, 5 minutes per side or until crisp.  Serve on buns.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you settle on. I've been looking at veggie burger recipes (also don't like the frozen stuff you can get). But most of the homemade ones have a tonne of ingredients and I just haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frozen burger I like is by Moneys made with rice and mushrooms. I don't hav the perfect veggie burger for you but when you find it let us all know:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veggie burgers that don't stay together = story of my life. I would also throw an egg in there as a binder. And sometimes if they're really messy...I just bake them.

    ReplyDelete