Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hello Old Friend: Stirfried Lemongrass Chicken






The title of this post could refer to so many things.  It can refer to the fact that Thatboy is finally home from his trip to see his parents.  It could refer to the fact that I am likewise home to enjoy my own bed after joining him this weekend. Or it could just refer to the fact that my butt is perched on the couch after having to spend my Memorial Day at work until late this evening.

But it doesn't.  It actually refers to stirfry.  A meal that used to be a staple round these parts.  I can't tell you when or why I stopped making it, but this easy dish hasn't graced our table in ages.  And it was time to rectify that.

I had a thai chile, just hanging out, begging to be used.  And as I leafed through my starred recipes, I happened to find a fabulous stirfry and it reminded me that it has been too long.  So I pulled out my handy wok and got to work.

The thing that I love about stirfries is how quickly they come together.  And this one is no different.  Sometimes lemongrass can be overwhelming, but it's very subtle in this dish.  Thatbaby especially liked the cashews, pulling them out, proudly announcing his "BEAN" before popping them in his mouth.  (I added the chile after I pulled his portion out).

Stirfried Lemongrass Chicken (From Prevention RD)

1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp chicken broth
 1 Tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sambal oelek
 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
1 Tbsp lemongrass, sliced and peeled
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
3 shallots, sliced
8 oz haricots verts, trimmed
1 chicken breast, thinly sliced
1/3 cup unsalted cashews
1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
  1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, chicken broth, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sambal oelek
  2. Heat a wok over high heat.  Add a Tbsp oil and swirl to coat.
  3. Add the lemongrass and garlic and stirfry until fragrant (about 30 seconds)  Remove the lemongrass and garlic with slotted spoon and place in a small bowl.
  4. Add the bell pepper, shallots, and haricot verts to the pan and stirfry for 2 minutes, until tender crisp.  Add them to the lemongrass bowl.
  5. Add remaining oil to the pan, swirling to coat.  Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned, 2 minutes.
  6. Add the cashews and chile to the pan and cook another 2 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
  7. Stir in the chicken broth mixture and vegetables.  Bring to a boil and cook for a minute until sauce thickens.

3 comments:

  1. I actually don't think I have EVER made a stir fry for The.Boy. which needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That baby is so cute, thinking that cashews are beans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for stir fries, especially with rice! Thank you for sharing - its going on my list to make!

    ReplyDelete