Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Winners!


October has long been one of my favorite months - even before Thatbaby's arrival.  I love the clean, crispness to the air.  Even here in Southern California where there are only 2 seasons (dry and wet) it's beginning to get a little cooler.

And we started preparing for my favorite holiday - Halloween!

Thatbaby helped Thatboy put up the outside decor.






Now all we have to do is carve pumpkins and get costumes and we're all set!

In other YAY news - a couple weeks back I found out that I won a new set of pans from Sarah's Cucina Bella







And these couldn't have come at a better time.  Since I was desperately in need of a new set of pans.  Desperately. 


And so far, I'm loving these.  They're Teflon's Technique Enamel Light Weight Cast Iron Frypan Set.   First off, I adore the fact they're red.  When we got married, I let Thatboy control the registry, and he picked out everything in our kitchen to be silver and black.  Bleh.  Reds and oranges are my kitchen colors of choice.

Second, I they combine the benefits of cast iron (my favorite way to cook, least favorite thing to clean) with the benefits of non-stick cookwear (my favorite thing to clean)!  Needless to say, they're getting lots of use in my kitchen.





I decided to break them in with an easy taco recipe.  Look how little oil I'm using and still getting a nice, crispy taco shell!  These are a great vegetarian taco recipe, combining black beans with salty feta.  Thatbaby, as usual, loved these since they're filled with beans.  Thatboy and I enjoyed a change from our typical tacos since we usually use meat and don't typically fry our shells.

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw (From Bon Apetit)
  • 1 can black beans, drained (I actually used the leftover beans from the tamales)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 2 cups coleslaw mix
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 white or yellow corn tortillas
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • hot sauce
1.   Place beans and cumin in small bowl; partially mash. 
2.   Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil and lime juice in medium bowl.
3.   Add coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper. 
4.  Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in single layer. 
5.  Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto half of each tortilla; cook 1 minute.
6.  Fold tacos in half. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. 
7.  Fill tacos with feta and slaw. 
8.  Serve with hot sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Thatbaby loves Hallowe'en!!!!! Conraats also on christening your new pots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like awesome pans! I am in desperate need of new ones also...perhaps I'll check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new pans! We're beginning to be in need of some new ones. And that crispy black bean taco recipe is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete