Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Prep Work Pays Off


Today was a looooooong day.  At 4pm I had to text Thatboy and see if he could pick Thatbaby up from daycare because it was clear I wouldn't be leaving any time soon.

At 5:45 I sent another text - "One more brief to write!  Go ahead and have dinner without me."

I hate missing dinner with the boys, but it's nice to know that I can ensure they have a delicious dinner, even when I'm not there.  On days when I know I'm going to be late, I run home and prep something easy for Thatboy to throw in the oven, or on the stove.  Pizza, meatloaf, steak - all with little notes on how to reheat or cook.  Things that don't take long for me to throw together, and don't require much effort on his part when he gets there.

This shrimp dish is one of the easiest out there.  Throw together some spices and butter, pour over the shrimp, and let them marinade until dinner time.  The idea comes from shrimp boils, where shrimp in shell are boiled with seasoning, and then dumped unceremoniously on the table for everyone to reach in and grab.  Unceremonious shrimp dumping is a little messy for a weeknight at home, and I don't trust Thatboy with boils, so in this recipe the oven does the work.  The butter, garlic, and spice though are things that are right at home with southern shrimp.


 Cajun Shrimp
  • 2lbs unpeeled shrimp
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp cup chili sauce
  •   2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoons Essence of Emeril
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/5 teaspoon tabasco

  1. Spread shrimp in a single layer on a shallow baking dish.
  2. Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until butter melts, and pour over shrimp. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 400.  Uncover shrimp and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm guilty of running home during lunch to prep for dinner also...and it makes a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally do the run home at lunch thing! On days I know that my husband will be home that night, I run home and turn the crockpot on so that we can spend time together that night, rather than cooking.

    Makes a big difference!

    Does ThatBoy cook?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE shrimp and this looks like a great recipe to add to our meal plan when I know we'll have a hectic week.

    ReplyDelete