Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin Pumpkin Pumpkin

Anyone remember this picture from last year?


Well this year we decided to recreate it....just a bit:



Normally every fall Thatboy and I head to Julian for apple picking and pumpkin patching. Except this year Thatboy refused to go. Why refuse such fun you ask? Well it all goes back to the birth prep class we took.

The instructor gave us a very brief "what to do in case you can't make it to the hospital" lecture. In her example, she gave us the scenario that we were driving to or from Julian when all of a sudden baby was coming. Given that there is limited cell service, not too many emergency phones, and no nearby hospital, in this scenario dad would have to deliver the baby himself. After her example, Thatboy refused to make any trips to Julian with his 9 month pregnant wife. Just in case.

Obviously that wasn't a valid concern, but we were SOL when it came to apple picking this year. Thatboy was determined we wouldn't also miss out on the pumpkin patch.


Instead of heading out to Julian, we went to the patch that's a little closer to home. And dressed Thatbaby up in his finest for his first Halloween experience.



We picked up lots of pumpkins. Which we then turned in to Jack-o-Lanterns.


You can totally tell which jack belongs to Thatboy, which belongs to me, and which belongs to Thatbaby. (Although can I just say Thatbaby's is my favorite. He wanted something tough, but not too scary. I picked out the design and Thatboy carved it. A real team effort.)

In addition to carving, we also turned the pumpkins into food!



Last year I made a pumpkin soup in the pumpkin shell and it turned out impressive looking, but not as impressive tasting. This year I looked to a different source for my soup and found out Alton Brown had a recipe. Alton Brown hasn't steered me wrong yet, and so I decided to take on the challenge. I'm so glad I did.

This year my pumpkin shell didn't fall apart. The soup wasn't stringy at all. And bonus - it had goat cheese stirred into it! Even Thatboy thought it was far more flavorful that he would have expected. As usual Alton Brown comes through. And our Halloween starts off with a success.

Next up will be our fabulous costumes. Have I mentioned how much I love Halloween?

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh .... I want Thatbaby's pumpkin! What fun he will have growing up in a Halloween-loving family. The welcoming photo - well - welcomes!Happy Halloween-to-come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful day. The pumpkins are works of art and your soup is beautiful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the costumes, love the new addition to the That-family and man that soups looks divine!

    ReplyDelete