Pages

Friday, July 06, 2007

Thai it, you'll like it

Jon and I looooooove Thai food. It might be our favorite. But I hardly ever make it at home (unless you count TJ's thai green curry simmer sauce....which I don't). Tonight I was feeling adventurous and I found this great sounding recipe on She Spills the Beans for Spicy Basil Tofu. Great because 1) It didn't include chicken, 2) Spicy is always good, and 3) Who doesn't love basil? I warned Jon this was going to be so good it would make him cry. Well he didn't cry, but he did agree it was soooo good. It was. Only, it wasn't spicy. We blame that on the fact that the supermarket didn't have red thai chili peppers and I had to sub green thai chili peppers. Next time - go red or go home.


Spicy Basil Tofu (edits in italics)
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. water
2 t. light brown sugar
2 T. peanut oil
2-3 fresh chiles, (preferably red Thai chiles), stemmed, seeded, and minced (as mentioned, I used green Thai chilies, but next time would use red)
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 pound extra-firm or firm tofu, crumbled and blotted dry between several layers of paper towels (I made two changes here, first I used silken tofu, because its what I had on hand, second I cut it into bite size pieces instead of crumbling - which doesn't work so well with silken tofu)
1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced (Just like the chilies, I used a green bell pepper instead....which made this a very green dish and not so very red)
1/3 c. thinly sliced fresh basil leaves


1) Combine the soy sauce, water, and brown sugar in a small bowl, stirring occasionally to help the sugar dissolve.

2) Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add the chiles and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the tofu and stir-fry until lightly colored and firm, about 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and soy mixture and stir-fry until the pepper has softened and the liquid has evaporated, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the basil and stir-fry until wilted, about 20 seconds. Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment