Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's all Greek to me

If I want to make Italian food, I turn to Giada DeLaurentis. If I want to make Greek food, I turn to Elly. Technically tonight is not really Elly's and not really Greek. But because it was inspired by her, I will dub it "Elly's Greek Burgers". See what happened was, I saw Elly's recipe for Lamb Burgers. Jon loves lamb. I thought it sounded like a great twist on an old classic. Then I ran into a snag. The supermarket didn't have ground lamb. I didn't really feel like driving around. But like any good domestic goddess there is always ground meat in my freezer. I decided that I would take Elly's recipe and use it to make hamburgers. I love the idea of feta with a burger and I even more love the idea of using whole wheat pita in place of a bun. Elly served hers with a Greek village salad. I served mine with a spinach salad. We're almost twins.

Jon loved it. Said it was one of his favorite burgers I've ever made. Guess Elly has another fan.



Elly's Greek Burgers

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 Tbsp oregano
1/4 cup onion, finely minced or grated
1 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
ground pepper to taste
1 pita, halved
olive oil

1) Mix all ingredients together and shape into two patties.

2) Lightly grease and heat grill. Grill burgers approximately 4 minutes per side or until desired degree of doneness.

3) Brush or spray pita halves with olive oil and toss on the grill for about 30-60 seconds. Stuff pitas with patties and top with crumbled feta and sliced tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you liked them! I love feta on my burgers... I wish it melted a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll try making this when it's just me and Hubbs. He's more adventurous than Lil' Man.

    ReplyDelete