Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Buffalo Everything: Buffalo Chicken Pot Pie



I know I know, I JUST posted a recipe for buffalo wings.  And here's another buffalo chicken recipe!  I can't help it you guys, the weather gets cold and I start putting buffalo chicken in just about everything.  It's such a spicy comfort food for me and the flavor works with just about all your other favorite comfort foods - chili, macaroni and cheese, and yes, even pot pie.

In fact, pot pie might just be the best use for buffalo chicken.  Think about it, buffalo wings always come with carrots and celery anyway, two ingredients of any self respecting pot pie.  So your brain already connects those flavors.  And if you've had buffalo chicken dip, then you're already familiar with a creamy version of buffalo wings.  Pot pie is a less creamy version of that dip - but the warm buttery crust is a nice substitute.

I made 2 individual pot pies with this recipe, because I like the crust to filling ratio better that way, but you could certainly make it into one large pot pie if you're serving a crowd. I ended up with extra filling (I always end up with extra filling) which I used in hand pies that I froze.  You could use the entire recipe to make handpies, they make for fabulous lunches. 


Buffalo Chicken Pot Pie
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
3/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
1 cup blue cheese
  1. Preheat the oven to 400.  Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until translucent.
  2. Add the carrots and celery and continue to cook another 5 minutes, or until they are soft.
  3. In a large bowl combine the cooked veggies, chicken, wing sauce, and blue cheese.
  4. Divide the pie dough into 4 balls.  Roll out 2 of the bowls into small circles and press them into small bowls or ramekins (if you're making one large pot pie then divide the dough in half and roll one half into a larger circle and fit into pie pan).
  5. Divide filling between the two ramekin/bowls.
  6. Roll out the other 2 balls of dough (or remaining half), and place on top of each filled ramekin.  Flute the edges and cut several slits in the middle of the dough.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I looovveee buffalo-flavored foods! Unfortunately not too many are vegetarian...but I bet there is a way for me to vegify this!

    ReplyDelete