Pages

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Lavender Fields Forever: Lavender Martini



I recently reconnected with one of my old lawyer friends, from back when I used to lawyer.  Once we got in contact, we went back to old habits of sending each other events we thought would be interesting.  Which is how I ended up at a Lavender Farm one Saturday morning.

She had sent me info about a yoga retreat, run by another lawyer friend of hers.  The idea of a yoga retreat sounded nice, and needed, but it was the location that sold me.




Keys Creek Lavender Farm is located in Valley Center.  I came across it several years ago, when I stumbled on their Mother's Day brunch.  Over the years they have restricted public access more and more, and I have never actually gotten around to going.  A yoga retreat, with an old friend, at the very venue I've always wanted to go to, was a definite must.



The retreat was organized by Saerin Ally Cho and she had a space set aside for us all to meet and grab some tea or water as we trickled in. 



One of the farm workers pointed out this interesting looking tree.  He told us that it's a "Century Tree" that rarely blooms, but was in bloom while we were there - as was the one directly across from it.  He couldn't remember the last time they both bloomed at the same time. 


We began the morning with a little meditation in the crystal maze.





And then we headed up to the main event - the yoga!





After yoga, complete with the longest Savasana I have ever encountered (which was soooooooooooooooo nice), we headed back to the meeting tables for lunch.


The spread was incredible.  So much fruit, and a delicious vegetarian curry over steaming basmati rice. Oh!  And salad.  Of course. 

We ate, and talked, and ate some more.  Then we headed over to the farm's salt water pool to cool off a bit - or just enjoy the sights.


While we relaxed poolside, the Farm made us all lavender martinis.  Heavy on the vodka!




And then we got a private tour of the farm and the distillery where they turn the lavender into oils.  We rejoined for a final chance to share our thoughts on the day before parting ways, a little calmer, a little more centered.


I would love to tell you that I came home with the ability to recenter and ground myself at home when faced with the stressors of everyday life.  I didn't.  But I did come home with some lavender jelly, lavender soap, and a great idea for a martini.  Especially since I have my own stock of lavender at home - bushes in the front and back yard!  Mine has less vodka than the ones they made for us, and isn't quite as purple, but it's still a very refreshing drink for these hot summer days.  If you're not a drinker, or have little ones at home, the syrup also works really well with lemonade.

And a quick plug to my new food stylist - Thatkid is the one who arranged the drink and the lavender for the photo.  He's such a helper. 

Lavender Martini
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp lavender buds
2 shots vodka
juice of 1 lemon
  1. Make the lavender syrup.  Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Remove from heat and add lavender buds.  Let sit for 20 minutes.  Strain and cool completely.
  2. In a shaker, combine vodka, lemon juice, 1 shot of the lavender syrup, and ice.  Shake and strain into glasses.  Garnish with lavender sprigs.

2 comments:

  1. I am OBSESSED with lavender lately! I want to infuse it into everything....definitely my cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun experience! I have lavender in my yard!

    ReplyDelete